From: <w1sql@...>
To: <070@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 4:10 PM
Subject: RE: [070] Apologies

Ernie,
Glad your getting this all working again and no need to apologize.
The virus that you caught is particularly nasty because it does disable,
not
only, Norton but also most other antivirus programs, that are on the
market,
before it goes to work and it makes it difficult to re-installed your AV
programs. I recently had a customer who had the same virus attack them and
we had to install another AV program and rename the AV executable just to
get the virus off the server and the servers are still not 100% but the
virus is gone, as far as we can tell. Now, I don't normally go out of my
way
to recommend too many things, unless asked, but I think this may help some
people and I need to do something to try to cut down on some of these
attacks that have been growing in number over that couple of months. The
one
thing that saved me from getting that virus is a program called Zone Alarm
Pro from Zone labs. WWW.zoneloabs.com. It has a feature that renames
potentially dangerous attachments so that they can't easily be run. In the
last week alone, it has saved my system at least 20-25 times. Just last
Wednesday I woke up to 7 attacks overnight between 11pm and 6 am. All
attachments were renamed by Zone Alarm before they ever made it to the
Norton AV level.

GL and glad your back online,
Joe
W1SQL