Re: Jim's GAZETTE Newsletter #124

Dieter, DL2RR <dl2rr@...>

I agree, and I had already several connections within Europe using some 100mW, that was  sufficient for a  perfect readable reception of the message. But surely as you already observed, it works only on an clear band (or channel) like on 17m. On 10m & 15m (if open) and always on 20m it does not take 2 minutes, until at least one station calls CQ on the QRG, and any contact is broken. That is the reality, with which we have to live !
If one is no patient ham, the next step is a grasp to the power regulator, or you can forget this contact, hi.

73' de Dieter - DL2RR (mostly QRP)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 1:57 AM
Subject: RE: [070] Jim's GAZETTE Newsletter #124

Let me add my general support for what's been said here, with a qualifier. Antennas are VERY important, but even more so is propagation. QRP DXing is satisfying, but it's even more so when I find that we are completing a QSO that is "QRP, attic dipole to attic dipole," as Sean G4UCJ and I did a few months ago.

Although there are differences in antenna systems, I think a big difference is that there are very few, if any, stations running anywhere close to the legal limit in power output. When I operate 5W SSB, I'm 23 dB (~4 S-units) below the kilowatt station with the same antenna. But when the "big guns" in PSK are only running 40-50 watts, my disadvantage is only 10 dB, less than 2 S-units. So it's easier (but still not simple) to be heard and break through a pileup.

But it is true that "anybody can do anything with PSK." Many of us "antenna-constrained QRPers" are proof of that. The main limitation in working exotic DX seems to be how few stations there are QRV in the remote locations.

72/73,
Steve
W3HF

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.