Jim's GAZETTE #117

N3DQU@...

Jim's GAZETTE
Newsletter #117

Please feel free to forward this newsletter to any and all interested
parties, or to reproduce it in
any other publication. All we ask is that you give credit where it is due.

SHORT NOTES: Forgive me for being 24 hours early, but tomorrow the house will
be filled with construction people. And, I will be out of touch. Hopefully,
it will
be done soon!

Bill K9GWT of HAL Communications reports that the P-38 modem is not
discontinued. Units are on hand and the company will be happy to fill your
order at any
time. The PCI-4000 is another matter. It is available only in special runs of
50 or more copies. Call Bill if you are interested. By the way, the latest
software update
for the P-38 supports the use of sound cards and the waterfall display for
all modes Clover to PSK-31. The update is free and is available from
www.halcomm.com.

Version 1.32 of Mailwasher is now at the website at www.mailwasher.net. No
need to uninstall the earlier version before installing 1.32. Just double
click the .exe file.

The Anatolian WW RTTY Contest will be run on 18-19 May. ANARAD is the sponsor
and their website is at www.qsl.net/ta4kg/rtty/anatolian.html. Talat TA4BS
is the head man and can be reached by Email at anarad@ttnet.net.tr.

Dayton is just around the corner! All kinds of plans can be made and
confirmed at www.rttyjournal.com. This year the RTTY world will be located at
the Howard
Johnson Hotel. It's $85 per night, plus taxes, of course. Don't forget to
reserve seats at the two dinners! Frank N2FF will once again moderate the
forum. Program to
be announced.

The DigiPan website has been discontinued. But don't worry. It's simply been
moved to another one. Http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hteller/digipan/ is the
address
now. Please note that the current version remains 1.6d. V1.7 is not yet ready
for release.

Google.com, my favorite search engine, has been enhanced. Bill NA2M picked up
the address from PC World magazine and thinks it is pretty neat. Try it at
www.ilor.com.

Lots of Internet bandwidth got invested in discussing the PW0T
operation.Operating split, the DX station seemed confusing to some, chaotic
to others. Many referees
were on frequency as well so the situation really screwed up. 'UP' 'UP' 'UP,'
typed the referees. Barry W2UP was sure he was being called! Finally, some
said, things
became a bit less hectic. But Ekki, DF4OR, reminded us all of what the real
problem might be. 'During the last three days I tried H40T, PW0T and TI9M,
all in vain.
It requires all my patience and restraint not to send some cruise missiles to
certain stations who call simplex and deliberately jam the DX frequency.
Since the invention
of the DX Cluster, every moron knows where the DX is located . . . my father
taught me to be patient and listen and figure out the pattern of the DX
station before
calling on the wrong frequency.' Amen!

I've never made a mistake before, but George W2TUM called my attention to a
mistake made by my informant! This has to do with the 20:02 20/02 2002
comment,
wherein I suggested it would be another 1001 years before a similar thing
happens again. Actually, George points out that it will be only 110 years and
will take place
in 2112. I guess I can wait to see if he is correct. Then I will admit my
error!

Peter G3PLX presented his 'Natural Law of Frequency Allocation' in Newsletter
#116. His thesis suggested that broader bandwidth creates more QRM than it
suffers, thus, any band plan should put modes of similar bandwidth in the
same space. His proposal stimulated a fair amount of activity among those
with an interest in
Pactor III, an emerging mode using 2.4 kHz of spectrum.

First off, Joost ZS5S circulated a portion of the Newsletter to all the
mailboxes around the world. Among the responses was an important one from Vic
Poor
W5SMM. The father of Aplink and Winlink, Vic is a very knowledgeable guy when
it comes to digital operation on HF.

Vic pulled no punches. He stated, 'I agree with G3PLX on this one. The view
that like bandwidths should share their own sub-bands reduces to a minimum
conflicts
between modes.' He goes on to point out that Pactor III should move up the
dial and join HF Packet, another wide mode (300 baud is equal to 1.5 kHz of
space).

Then, to my surprise, Vic suggested that those who use Pactor III should
avoid using 20 or 40 meters because of the load these bands already carry.
80, 30, 17 and
15 meters provide adequate propagation for the Winlink user community.

All of this suggested peace and quiet until the next Email arrived. Rudolf
HS0/DL1ZAV who operates HS0AC jumped in with a loud voice. 'HS0AC has NOT
cleared the QRG 14.072.5 / 14.069.5 and will not clear these QRG's ! It will
not change till I give up Ham Radio. And if Pactor 3 is available than HS0AC
will use
it!' (Note that the complete text of these two Emails are contained in the
thread at www.n2hos.com/digital/peter.html).

Rudolph's tough response was enough to suggest to me that a little research
might be in order. So, I took the latest list of classic Pactor MBO's
(published monthly by
ZS5S) and ran down the list of scanned (standard center) frequencies for each
station. Much to my surprise, there is far more scanning activity in the PSK
area than I
had imagined. No wonder we see so many of those twin tracks on the waterfall.

Vic's note suggested that Winlink sysops had agreed to abandon 14070-72. I
checked only the over-scanned 20 meter frequencies and found that the
following
Pactor MBOs are scanning in areas that might well present problems for PSK-31
fans.

9Y4IBN: 14071.4**AL7PI: 14068.9 and 69.9**DJ6HH: 14070.4 (one of 8
frequencies scanned on 20M!!)**F3KT: 14070.9**F6FUB: 14070.9**I5FLN:
14068.9**N7QDN: 14068.9 and 69.9**OH2NPE: 14069.9**OK0PBR: 14068.9
and70.9**VK2AAB: 14070.9**VK2OG: 14068.9**W4NPX: 14069.9 and
71.9**WU3V: 14069.9 and 70.9**DK0MUN: 14069.4**JA8HK: 14069.8 and
71.9**K1UOL: 14068.4**ON0BEL: 14068.4 and 69.9, 70.9**OZ4SCA:
14068.4 and 69.45, 70.9, 71.9**SV1IW: 14068.9 and 70.9
T90BOX: 14069.9 and every kHz to 89.9**W7IJ: 14068.9**WA1URA: 14068.9 and
70.4**KA6IQA: 14070.9.

Keep in mind that standard center frequencies are not the same as the upper
side-band numbers used by PSK. But, also keep in mind that, while PSK
utilizes only 31
Hz for its low power signal, Pactor gobbles up several times as much. Any
splatter adds to the problem. Just take a careful look at your waterfall and
you'll have
some idea of the difference. Pactor III, if used by the stations listed
above, would totally swamp the PSK space and much more both up and down the
current digital
space.

Clearly, G3PLX has it right. Pactor III must move up the band into the HF
Packet arena or their will be open warfare between it and all other forms of
digital
communications. And, while the world awaits the new Pactor product, perhaps
more and more of the MBO's could follow the lead of sysops like ZS5S and
K4CJX
who skip way over the narrow modes by scanning below 14064 and above 14074.
That's the spirit! That's Natural Frequency Allocation!

73 de Jim N2HOS jem@n2hos.com
http://www.n2hos.com/digital