From: Costas Krallis SV1XV [mailto:sv1xv@eexi.gr]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 1:07 AM
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Pile up handling (Was: [070] TI9M)

On the subject of pile-up handling by DX-stations, it
is true it takes a lot of experience and self discipline
to do it smoothly. I have only handled a few minor
pile-up with SP and DL on 6 m SSB, so I can undertand
how demanding the job of a real DX operator is.

The worst DX operator I have encountered was an EA who
activated a rare IOTA close to my location on 21 MHz SSB.
He was listening on his own frequency and, while propagation
was good for me and signals booming at S9, I was unable
to have a QSO after 2 hours of well timed calls.

What was wrong with him? Instead of calling "QRZ? THIS
IS XYZ, IOTA XX-000" and listen, he would consistently call
one of the kilowatt stations who were breaking over the
last QSO. You can easily guess the chaos caused by this
practice.

Costas

| Costas Krallis SV1XV * LOC KM18UA |
| P.O.Box 3066 * E-Mail: sv1xv@eexi.gr |
| GR-10210 Athens * PGP key: 0x3BDBBC34 |
| GREECE * http://www.qsl.net/sv1xv/ |
| * http://w4u.eexi.gr/~sv1xv/ |

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/